Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Five Things & Five Matters

Source : http:///

Ibn Abee Haatim (d.328H) - rahimahullaah - said:

"I entered Damascus and came upon the students of hadeeth, and I passed by the circle of Qaasim al-Joo'ee (d.248H). I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance amazed me; and I heard him saying:

"Seize the benefit of five things from the people of your time:

when you are present, you are not known;
when you are absent, you are not missed;
when you are seen, your advice is not sought;
when you say something, your saying is not accepted;
and when you have some knowledge, you are not given anything for it.

I also advise you with five matters:

when you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly;
when you are praised, do not become happy;
when you are criticised, do not become upset;
when you are not believed, do not become angry;
and if people act deceitfully towards you,chanel handbags do not act deceitfully towards them."

Ibn Abee Haatim said: So I took that as my benefit from Damascus."
Related by Ibn al-Jawzee in Sifatus-Safwaa (2/200).

No comments: